Sunday, March 7, 2010


International Women's Day March 8th, 2010

The 21st century has brought about quite an introspective Women's Day for me and my community. I always mark this festivity with an interest in activism that stems from feminist thought. Past years I have attended lectures, performed spoken word and listened to many inspiring pieces of music. This year I've been lucky to pick up a book which I bought five years ago and hid away for a future revelry. Mary Daly has always intruiged me partly because of the names others have given her: theologian, philosopher, radical feminist, academic. I have read many elaborations on language and excepts in Pure Lust and Gyn/ecology. This year she died and I realized that I needed to rediscover her classic text "Beyond God the Father." Brought up in the Evangelical Christian tradition, I knew this work would be an exciting adventure. Here is a taste of some of the principal thoughts I have enjoyed thus far in this beautifully illustrated text. Beyond God the Father includes Mary's careful consideration of other 20th century contemporary theologians. It is a slow and labourious read filled with pain and creativity. I will continue my journey throughout this week and really treat myself to some more of this landmark book:


"It would be naive to think that the healing of the divided self can take place in one act. A truly healing insight involves a will to change that externalizes itself in continually unfolding action, so that the insight grows and action becomes more meaningful. ...

in self-liberation women are performing the most effective action possible toward universal human liberation, making available to men the fullness of human being that is lost in sexual hierarchy. To oppose the essential lovelessness of the sexually hierarchical society is the radically loving act. Seen for what it is, the struggle for Justice opens the way to a situation in which more genuinely loving relationships are possible."


Mary Daly, Beyond God the Father, Chapter Two: Exorcising Evil from Eve: The Fall into Freedom.


On her website and in this book Mary asks us to remember activism.

An excellent cooperative news source that I always return to for exciting and invigorating perspectives is a project driven by an amazing community: dominionpaper.ca

It doesn't take much to realize that we cannot only consume media driven toward profit. The human interest of our economies of paper, plastic, water, energy and skills must be accurately and profoundly portrayed in media. I'm glad that so many people share their talents here in the most beautiful and striking balances. I expect to include more reviews of books, music and websites along with an everchanging understanding of divinity here on my weblog. I know that this Monday many people will be thinking about women & their ever changing impact in the world. I am glad to be a part of an international community dedicated to change and continued understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment